Friday, September 19, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner Plans

It seems so far away, but it's not! It is time to start planning our 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Dinner for inpatient families. You can read about last year's Thanksgiving Dinner here.

I kept most of the decorations from last year, but it is not too early to start collecting promises of donations. I will probably get the turkeys again, but I definitely want folks to start thinking about what home-cooked food they would like to make a double batch of for that day. It is so nice to have home-cooked food ANYTIME you have been in the hospital for more than just one day! I remember the desserts were especially a hit with the families last year.

We will do things a little differently this year, specifically we will schedule times for the families to come, so they are not waiting in the hall until we have an available table. We served MANY families last year, and it will take a LOT of people volunteering again this year. I wouldn't be surprised if more families came this year, based on last year's success.

For those who are new to ChemoMoms, the reason I put so much emphasis on this holiday is because it is "forgotten". Of course the community supports those in the hospital during Christmas and even New Year's, but when you think of Thanksgiving, you think of family time together. When you are stuck in the hospital for that day, it can really depress you to think of your family over at Grandma's and Uncle Craig telling his "pull my finger" jokes without you!

The ChemoMoms Thanksgiving Dinner comes complete with candles, tablecloths, cloth napkins, REAL dishes, silverware and glasses, music and a family photo. We print a menu and volunteers take families' orders and serve them. We also have fresh coffee to go with the dessert. Last year the volunteers all received monogrammed aprons for their hard work.

If you are interested in bringing your family and spending a Thankful day serving others, this is a great ministry. Just showing love to those who can't change the fact that they are in a sad situation and need to be encouraged is the only requirement for the job! You can email me at chemomoms@yahoo.com or leave a comment if you would like me to contact you about helping.

With HOPE,
Tammy

2 comments:

Leah ;0) said...

Hi, My name is Leah,I live in Grand Bay, I didn't know how else to contact you, I would like to help if I can, please email me at leah@knittinfun.com

Steph said...

I just came accross your blog the other day. I think what you are doing is wonderful. I live in Calgary, Canada and my son Ethan just took his last dose of CRA on Thursday. He also has Stage IV Neuroblastoma. He's doing very well and we are starting all of the final tests and hearing aid fittings next week. I think the baskets are a wonderful idea and I am going to talk to a couple of other moms who are also wanting to make a difference and see if we can't raise some money and start doing that here. The turkey dinner is wonderful too. I remember all I got was a giant book on solid tumors shoved in my hands, a lot of information I didn't understand and "come back on Monday. I would love to talk to you some more. my email address is ssduncan@telus.net
Stephanie

Thank you for your donations!

Thank you for your donations!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

Colette & Azaleas

Colette & Azaleas