Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Discouraged...

I don't know why, but for some reason, folks don't seem concerned at all about childhood cancer awareness month. I am really frustrated that now we share the month with ovarian/gynecologic cancers. It is bad enough October is breast cancer awareness month, and all the stores are fully stocked with pink ribbons on everything in September, but now all the media is focused on ovarian and can't seem to fit childhood cancer into their schedule.

Don't get me wrong, a very good friend from my church is suffering from ovarian cancer right now, and I would love to see her beat it, but there are 12 months in the year! Surely they could have picked a different time of the year to focus on this type of cancer!!

So I am off that subject onto my local problems: Out of 70 emails I sent out, only 5 replied. That is the worst EVER response to my request for help. It makes me wonder if I am doing the right thing! Sometimes I feel like ChemoMoms is picking up speed, getting out there in the media, receiving donations, then times like now come along and everybody is just too busy with their own lives to slow down and realize there are people who AREN'T living the life they dreamed, because they are now sleeping on fold-out chairs and listening to IV pumps wake them every hour or so, waiting until the clock says it's time to jab a needle in their sweet baby's thigh. While we are all out at the neighbor's BBQ and sitting by the pool, some others are driving frantically to the ER in rush hour traffic while their child is vomiting in the backseat, running a 102 degree fever. I was just one of those thousands of parents and it wasn't that long ago. I remember the feelings I had and I just want to let these parents who are currently fighting for their child's life know that they are not alone! Maybe I am not using the right channels to get the information out there. I certainly can't pick up and move to a larger city where there is more awareness about childhood cancer. I live in Mobile and that is where cancer kids live!

If the response to a simple event like Movie Night is this poor, I probably won't take on a monster like Thanksgiving Dinner again. It is just too much for one or two people to do.

Without HOPE tonight.
Tammy

2 comments:

Loree Arrington said...

Thanks for the reminder! I just wanted to say that perhaps that's why you don't live in a town where the awareness is high - you're there to raise the awareness!! Keep at it - even when it seems dim!
God bless you for being a voice for those who are too overwhelmed, tired, and unable to speak themselves!!

Pelican Bay said...

Just a thought - have you tried to get a grant for these baskets? There are grants for everything, so it may be worth looking into.

Thank you for your donations!

Thank you for your donations!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

Colette & Azaleas

Colette & Azaleas