Monday, July 21, 2008

Running Low on Basket Supplies!

Hello all you out there in Internet-Land! :D
Last week I had the opportunity to meet a new friend here at the hospital. His name is Taylor and he was in the hospital getting chemo. SUPER cute and SUPER sweet! I gave his Nana my card and had a chance to talk with her for a few minutes. I hope they made sure she got a basket before he was discharged! (I took 3 more with me that day)

Speaking of baskets....

My stock is LOOOOWW - if it had not been for two faithful friends who remember me always, I would not have the main things I needed for the baskets last week!

I am going to list out the items here that I am completely out of, then I will list the items that are getting low:

COMPLETELY OUT OF:
Toothbrush/toothpaste
(you can get a kit with Crest at the Dollar Tree)
Chapstick
(please make sure it has a seal on it)
2008 or 2008/2009 Calendar
Address book

Microwave Popcorn

Microwave Meal

(Hormel makes very tasty ones for about $1.75 each)
Digital Thermometer
(WalMart now has them for about $4 in Health & Beauty)
Mints/gum
(preferably minty flavors for sleeping moms when Dr. comes in early)
Thank You notes
(again, my favorite store, Dollar Tree has cute ones!)
Lysol sanitizing wipes
(needs to say "ANTIBACTERIAL", "kills 99.9% of germs")

GETTING LOW ON:
Hand lotion (purse size)
Emery boards (kind that has a wrapper are best)
Body wash (travel size)
Pen

If the hospital called today and asked for a basket, I don't have enough to put together ONE complete basket. Thankfully I dropped off 3, but I have a feeling they haven't had any for a while, so they could possibly deliver all 3 in just a matter of a week.

I had some ideas about how YOU could help get these items.

* If you work and have a breakroom/snackroom, maybe set up a jar for spare change near the coke machine, people could drop their quarters in there. Do it for a week and probably get a few dollars.

*Pass around an envelope asking for anonymous donations. Make sure you put your name on the envelope so it will be returned to you. You can also put my blog website on there so they will see how the donation will help.

*One day at lunch, ask your friends when they are leaving their tip if they would also like to put a dollar towards the purchase of these items. As you can see from the list, many items only cost $1 or less.

*Ask your Sunday School class to have a "Digital Thermometer Drive". Ask them to bring as many Digital Thermometers as they can collect in a week. Better yet, challenge another Sunday School Class, even the whole department! Have a table or large storage container in a central location and ask folks to drop them in during the assembly time. Imagine how many thermometers could be collected in that one day!!!

*Talk to your Bible Study group about providing the items to fill a whole basket.

These baskets cost approximately $24.80 (back when I started this last year). I am sure the cost of everything has increased with the gas, but $25 is still a fair estimate if you shop around for nice but cheap items. Buying in bulk is helpful too. I received a box of notebooks after the school supply clearance last year and I am still using that box! I also received several boxes of purse size hand sanitizer during that clearance and I still have one of the boxes of 6 bottles! Keep your eyes peeled for good deals!!! :D

With HOPE,
Tammy

No comments:

Thank you for your donations!

Thank you for your donations!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

Colette & Azaleas

Colette & Azaleas