Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Picking Up Speed...

I hate to bump down the post about Movie Night, but more things are coming for ChemoMoms!

Those of you who are familiar with Children's in Bham know about the Infusion Room at the back of Clinic 8. That is where kids receive chemo, blood/platelets, fluids, wait for bone marrows, etc.
In Mobile, they have the same kind of room, called USS Hope. (everything at USA Children's & Women's is an aquarium theme) So it is sorta like being in a submarine, and they have this big pretty cylinder aquarium that goes to the ceiling, anyways...

I have been trying to come up with an idea to help the ChemoMoms and Dads who don't get admitted, but still go to the Hope for cancer treatments. I have spoken with the nurses there and we have figured out a couple of things that ChemoMoms can provide.

1) Crossword puzzles/books - There is a possibility this will be provided soon. There really is nothing available for the parents who are waiting for HOURS on end except TV and internet, but we all know about these kids who love watching cartoons all day, so something more "mature" would be nice.

2) you know those microwaveable meals I ask for in the baskets? well sometimes, the parents don't eat because they are busy waiting on the doctor or taking care of their child, and then the cafeteria closes and it is back to the snack machine. I asked the nurse if we could donate some of those meals and the 2 nurses who work there will use their judgment as to when they would provide that to the parents. That is because we aren't sure if those meals will always be available due to donations, so we wouldn't want to "advertise" there always being a snack for the parents if we couldn't always provide them.

My latest project is a follow-up to the families who have already been on treatment for a while. A BAND-AID BOX. I found the one I used for Colette and this is a picture of it:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


It is just a simple school box that is see-through, and in it I kept a digital thermometer, alcohol wipes, bandaids, measuring syringes and pills (usually nausea medicine), EMLA cream and tegaderms, and anything else I needed for Colette when we went out for the day. ChemoMoms will provide the box, a digital thermometer, and some special bandaids (characters or colored). The families will already have the rest of the stuff I mentioned, and they can use it according to their needs. I will also wrap this and include a card so it will be a gift, not just "here you go" type deal.

I will put a button on this website to allow purchase of one of these boxes for $10. The thermometers usually run $7-10, but I know how helpful that was for me to be able to toss the whole thing in my purse and go.

I have received a lot of feedback from the hospital staff about what we have done so far, and I think they are starting to get on board and offer other ways to help. Yay!

With HOPE,
Tammy

No comments:

Thank you for your donations!

Thank you for your donations!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

It's Childhood Cancer Awareness Month at USA Children's & Women's Hospital!

Colette & Azaleas

Colette & Azaleas